Lorene

Lorene
Just a little lefse, will go a long ways

Saturday, February 16, 2008




Twice in the last week the forecast has been snow advisory. So the talk gets the forecast distorted and we hear the word blizzard and everyone panics. Both times we have received a skift of snow and a little wind. I want a good snowstorm. Vern remembers a few years before we were married there was so much snow and wind they didn't bother to open the road to the east of our place. Of course, in those days there weren't snow blowers or the wide plows they have nowdays. Our fear at the farm was that the milk truck would not get through and there were several times we had more milk than our tank would hold before the truck came. I remember once in 1976 we were low on feed for the cows. We knew it was going to snow but did not know that it would be a blizzard. I suppose the weather reports were not as detailed as they are now. Vern went to the neighbors to get the rental feed grinder as he was going to grind the next day. But the next day was a howling bizzard and it went on for several days. There was no feed for the cows except whole oats and hay. About 4 days later a neighbor came with a snowblower to make some paths in our yard.
But I remember the good times about snowstorms. Once during winter break Hjordes and the girls were at our place. We had ice that covered the trees, posts and lines. The heavy ice caused a power outage. We had a generator and Vern hooked that up so he could do the chores. It also ran the furnace fan and as a result the house was warm. Anything beyond that had to be scheduled. We used the microwave instead of the oven and were conservative of the hot water. We played games, Scrabble, RummiKub, Racko, Dominoes. We put together puzzles. We ate supper with candle light. All the while we were having fun, Vern had chores to do in the cold. The tractor that ran the generator had to be filled with fuel and since the pump on the barrell ran by electricity that all had too be put into a fuel can by gravity then poured into the tractor. It was not fun for him.
Now, let it snow. If I have to work, I walk out to my heated garage, get in the warm truck, Vern drives me to work (four wheel drive if there are any slippery or drifted spots) and drops me off 20 feet from the door. He picks me up and we drive back into the heated garage. Oh, am I ever spoiled! We can sit in our lovely living room and watch the snow come down covering all the world, including our deck and railing in lovely white clean snow. Let it snow!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Those were the days. Be careful what you wish for. But yes, it is nice to have a snowstorm if all your loved ones are warm and safe.

Anonymous said...

I remember coming up to your place and just itchin' to play in the snow forts. I wish we still had winters like that for my kids.

About Me

Minnesota, United States